Monday, August 23, 2010

Mummy Monday....How to find joy in your day

I nearly forgot it's Monday. I have had a lot of thoughts swarming through my head today. I'm sure the weather is contributing, and the fact that I have had Jackson in his Baby Bjorn sling for four hours asleep (my neck/ shoulder muscles are starting to go numb)!

Is it just me, or do any other stay-at-home mums question how much they are doing (or not doing) for their families, their children, themselves? Sometimes I think I get so caught up in making the most of the moment that the moment just passes by. And sometimes because I don't conquer the "motherhood" world I feel a bit glum. I stumbled across a post written by a photographer which included a letter to her son who was turning four. She reminisced over the daunting and ever-consuming first year of life and it was obvious that she really missed it. See her entry here . It's a nice reminder to appreciate every moment. And funny enough her sons name is Jackson!

So, today I am grateful for sore shoulders because I get to hold my little boy close and listen to him taking small breaths, kiss his forehead and smell the sweetness of milk (lol...possibly gross to others?). It's actually quite beautiful. Today, even though I didn't get the dishes done, it rained on my washing and I doubted my abilities to start my dream business...Jackson smiled beautifully at me so many times, he has slept and I know when he wakes up he will be excited to see me again (after I feed him..lol).

So to my little boy....I love you sooooo much and am grateful that you make me smile every day!



I'd really love to hear from others mums, or even those who aren't about how they spend/ would spend their time at home!

Oh, and don't forget to drink lots of water everyday!

xo Shayla

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy Jackson while he's little Shayla, cause he's not little for very long and one day it won't be cool to be seen kissing or hugging your Mum in public!

    Before I started working out of the home, I used to have my meetings, do the shopping or catch up with friends in the morning (or all of the above) ... then I'd go home, feed the child(ren) and myself and put them to bed for the afternoon until it was time to collect the school children. I'd have a sleep sometimes too.

    If I found a great book then nothing would get done. I'd spend the whole day and night reading my book. I read the 4 Twilight books in 5 days the Christmas before last while I was on Uni-break because I don't seem to read anything other than the Book of Mormon, text books or academic articles for the 14 weeks+ I'm at Uni.

    I came to the conclusion when I had little kids that I liked to have my home tidy after they went to bed as my Mom used to say to tidy up before going to bed cause then you'd be able to handle the next day because things were tidy when you go up. I still work with that policy.

    My other bit of advice which kept me sane ... the dishes will always need washing, the clothes will always need to be washed ... food always needs preparing but your children will not always be babies or little tots ... so blow the housework and enjoy the child! I think housework is over-rated and with the new aged husbands you girls have these days ... they seem very capable of helping out with sweeping floors, getting the washing in, helping out with the dishes and cooking ...

    Have fun being a stay-at-home Mum (funny they've got an official title now ... that's what most Mums used to do when I had young children) ...

    When I have a moment or two I check out your recommended websites. Britt and I loved the 'Color Me Katie' website and told Raelene about the heart and star filters and she got some awesome photos the other night of the Huonville bridge and other places lit up in Huonville. She's posted them on facebook if you haven't seen them.

    Now I've written a book, I'd best close ... :)

    Take care ...

    Love Grets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I don't have any kids yet, my spectacles are still rose-tinted and this is what I'll be doing when I'm a mum:

    Painting my toe nails, reading books, trialing new recipes, improving my photography skills, lamenting that I finally became a mum only after Oprah retired from TV, cleaning the house, celebrating the fact that I no longer work in an office, working off my baby fat at the gym, catching up with other mama friends, learning to sew, spending my summer days in the sunshine, studying my scriptures more, cooking dinner for my husband every night and packing his lunch for the next day, looking like a movie star, writing a few novels, and washing the car in cute little outfits - in slow motion.

    Of course.

    M
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies for writing! I love hearing from people! I actually took bits and pieces from both of you. It's so nice to get outsider perspective. SO thank you!

    ReplyDelete